Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Sick day = homework and knitting

I'm home sick again today... I just know the parents are rolling their eyes at this but whatever.

So basically, what I do when I'm home sick is knit and catch up on miles overdue homework crap. So I figured I'd make a quick but long post on my blog, seeing and it kind of falls under both categories.

Oh my goodness! I'm so excited! The spring issue of Knitty is out!!! YAYs!!!! Go look!

So I've gotten up to the heel on this sock
I'm making it with this worsted salmony colored yarn that is leftover from a sweater my mom made when she was still knitting. I can't remember my mother ever knitting anything so it must be pretty old. I think its some crummy phentex type stuff, probably won't be very nice feeling on the feet. Oh well, it's going to be my first pair of socks so I guess it doesn't really matter. If your wondering about the bluey tinge, it's my monitor being reflected in the yarn.

Oh, by the by dad, I had to unravel your sock, I realized when I was almost done the leg that I had been doing the whole pattern wrong!!! I was supposed to just knit every other row but I kept doing the pattern, that's probably why the sock was ending up all funny and wonky at the cuff.

I was in Saskatoon for the Easter weekend, visiting my baby nephew. I got his measurments for a sweater that I have now decided not to make. The yarn I had is too expensive so I decided I'm going to make this instead. But instead of it being bright orange, pink and red. It'll be very light pastel yellow and green.

While I was in sask, I was at a Wal-Mart, in the yarn section, and I found this really neat looking discount yarn, factory mill ends. There were six balls per bag. So what did I do? Bought three bags of course... I'm not quite sure what it wants to be yet though... Maybe a pillow? or three...


I also got a big ball of Bernat, something-or-other cotton. I absolutely love the colorway of this yarn!!! It's bright green and yellow and turquoise! I made my aunt a really neat washcloth and I have yet to make my sister two washcloths. If I have enough when I'm done, I'm going to make myself some jaywalkers! Bernat makes another really awesome colorway in this yarn too, it's pink, orange and yellow! Pretty. I'm going to buy a ball of that for socks too.

Speaking of my wonderful aunt... Mom and I stopped at her place on our way back home and she gave me all this really awesome stuff!!!! LOOK!
Hopefully you can see the numbers ok:
1. Bright purple handspun, hand-dyed yarn that she made me a pair of mittens out of when I was a kid.
2. Bright yellow handspun, hand-dyed yarn
3. Very pretty heathery-purple handspun, hand-dyed yarn.
4. Dark heathery-blue handspun, hand-dyed yarn
5. Dark red handspun, hand-dyed wool
6. Dark blue/purple handspun, hand-dyed wool
7. Just old Red Heart acrylic
8. Medium brown handspun, hand-dyed wool
9. Light beige handspun, hand-dyed wool
10. Heathery-magenta handspun, hand-dyed yarn
11. Dark brown handspun, hand-dyed wool
12. Bright purple acrylic
13. Huge flippin' thing of raw wool badly needing to be carded
14. Light grey-blue Chinook carded pure virgin Australian hand knitting wool
15. Black Chinook
16. Same as 14 but in original packaging
17. same as 16
18. White Chinook
19. Same as 15 but in original packaging
20. Really soft grey wool, I think it's been carded... I don't know how to tell...

THANK YOU AUNTIE WENDY!!! And gracie too! (thats her dog, she left little black hairs everywhere!)

Now I really need to get a carder... So that raw wool won't be used for quite some time.

Now, this may seem like a stupid question... but can you re-card wool thats already been spun? Like really really recylcing it?

Another link for today. A new favourite blog of mine, shes very sassy and cool and our kitties are both polydactyls!
GrrLeigh Knits

Anyways, I'm out.

0 after the beep:

About Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Blog Design | 2007 Company Name